Monday, January 27, 2014

Baked Better: Digg Inn Trail Mix Cookie

Welcome to Baked Better, a recurring segment that I use as an excuse to eat cookies.  I taste test baked goods marketed as special--because theyre organic or all natural or gluten free or what-have-you--and then report back on my findings.  I pride myself on my commitment to baked goods, and Ill tell you whether Ive found a brownie worth your time and money, or whether to stick with Oreos.

The target: Dig Inn Seasonal Markets Trail Mix Cookie.

The draw:  Dig Inn is an NYC-based farm-to-table market that serves tasty, wholesome lunches to the office workers of Manhattan.  The company prides themselves on making all their food from scratch with real ingredients, but these cookies come individually sealed in plastic so theyre probably not baked on site.  That said, I dont have to watch cookies being made to know I enjoy them.  The list of ingredients is lengthy, but there are no weird chemical compounds in the mix.  There is also no butter (they use soy oil and applesauce), sugar (they use evaporated cane juice and brown rice syrup), or white flour (they use spelt).  

From their website. No photoshop; this is exactly how it looks.

The rundown: This cookie may have 17 grams of sugar (roughly the same its counterpart from Subway) but ingredients like whole oats, cranberries, and pumpkin seeds make it taste more like a really healthy breakfast.  Its hearty, to the extent a cookie can be hearty, and although its sweet, its not decadent.  It is nice and squishy and even a bit airy inside.  The cinnamon and vanilla give it a satisfying aftertaste without leaving me sugar-crashing and craving more.

In short, this cookie is amazing.

The score: 4 stars (out of 5).

Now I want another cookie.

The moral:  Filling and tasty and all natural?  I'm a happy blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment