Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Creating Kombucha, Part Ewwwwwwww

I discovered that one of my jars had a little bit too much going on.

Is that what I think it is?

I hope it goes without saying that mold is a deal breaker when it comes to brewing.  Fermentation is the only metabolic process allowed, period.  The whole thing has to be tossed, right after you photograph it artily in a weirdly matchy bowl.

Like a SCOBY in a bridesmaid dress.

And then start again from scratch.  Luckily SCOBY is self-replenishing and I'm in it up to my elbows.  Back to the brewery* I go.


*Kitchen.  I only have a kitchen.

Update 2.6.14:
This happened again.  Both times it happened with green tea by a company called Williamson Tea, which I'm not really familiar with.  All the tea came from one box.  I'm not sure if maybe this is an effect of using green tea (rather than black) and the green spotting on the SCOBY is normal, but I threw the second batch out anyway.  Next time I'll use a different brand of green tea and document the results.  HOLD YOUR BREATH.

No comments:

Post a Comment